Not Getting Result With SEO ? Here is Why
SEO not working right? In one of Neil Patel publications on Kissmetrics he did mention of something very important in which a lot of people don’t really take note of while building their website. ‘He said and I quote, every website built with cognizance for SEO will definitely do better on search engine’.
So sad to see a lot of people build website without focus on optimization. A beautifully designed website might rank badly if not optimized. Every part of your website should be optimized for search engine if you really want to break new grounds in business.
In today’s edition of our SEO guide, we’ll be looking at how we to do SEO for our website with site structure.
I will also be giving tips on how to get our website crawled and indexed better by search engines with a perfect site structure.
Now before we delve in too much on how to go about creating that perfect site structure for your website. Let me quickly intimates us with some of the pros of having a perfect site structure
Pros of having a fully optimized site structure
- An awesome site structure simply implies a great user experience. The more appealing your website is to we human the more appealing it becomes to search engine such as Google as it uses website user experience as one of its criteria while ranking websites during search queries
- With a great site structure, your bounce rate will be greatly reduced as users tend to spend more time surfing through pages of your website.
- With a great site structure your websites will often get crawled by search engines
Cons of having a poorly optimized site structure
- Bounce rate will skyrocket in no time
- You might not rank organically
Having known this, you should by now be aware of the significance of a fully optimized website site structure. Now here are a few ways in which you can fully optimize you website for SEO with a great site structure.
1. Hierarchy Development Must Come Before Web Development
A lot of developers this days tend to delve into development without cognizance for site hierarchy. Every developer must as a rule comes up with a site structure before delving in into development. A decent site structure makes the development very easy.
We should at least have a mental picture of how the site should look and pen it down on a white board.
There are a lot of software’s that can help with the developing of a site structure.
Google Spreadsheet, and Visio just to mention a few should might be of help. For those of us who are un – aware of what a site structure should look like, it should take form in the picture given below.
Photo credit: Moz
Basically, on any website, you will have headings and sub headings. Here is how to go about creating the perfect heading and sub heading.
It must be simple and logical
Simplicity is the key, do not over complicate your website with too many headings and sub headings. Every of your headings should be distinct and unique.
Every sub category should at least have a relationship with the main category under which it is listed.
Keep the number of your headings down
Unless you are Konga.com the number of your headings should at least be a minimum of two and a maximum of seven. If your website main heading is more than seven.
Then, you may need to find a way to keep it down to less than seven or at most ten. But, be sure to back up your website before you proceed on streamlining the numbers of your subheading.
Keep the number of sub headings even
Be sure that there is a balance in the number of sub heading. This concept has been clearly depicted in the picture given above by Moz.
2. Be sure the site URL structure is in line with the site navigational hierarchy
Photo credit: Kissmetrics
Let’s say the above diagram is my site structure. Then my URL(s) should be in the form
Now, this is how my site URL should look. This simply implies that my URL will always come with real words without symbols.
Doing this make the website more user friendly and Google often leverage on user experience in ranking most of the time.
3. Your Website Navigational Systems Should be Developed Using HTML or CSS
Be sure to develop your website navigation with HTML or CSS as it gives more flexibility to search engines to index your website better.
Developing a website navigation with Java and Ajax just to mention a few, sometimes impedes the ability of search engines to properly crawl. Take note of this
4. Always Opt For Shallow Depth site structure
While developing header for our website, we should be sure that the header describes and summarise the website.
I should contain a list of the main headings or pages and it must be as shallow as possible. Doing this prevents contents from staying buried during search engine query.
A website with a deep site structure impedes crawling be a search engine. Even from user’s perspective, most users prefer to surf through websites with shallow depth navigation structure as it gives more fluidity during query/surfing.
5. Do Inbound Link Building
The following reasons are why internal link building is very important
- It gives the flexibility of navigating better through a website
- Internal links building is one the criteria considered by search engines while ranking during a search query.
You do not need to go complicated with this, just be sure to have links on the website that will take user to some parts of the website.
- Leverage on hierarchy development
- Leverage on user-friendly URL(s)
- Develop your site navigational systems with HTML or CSS
- Shallow depth site structure is preferred
- Be sure to link several pages of your website (Internal link building )
The best time to go about creating a decent site structure is before development. After development, we can now proceed with implementation of the site structure. Irrespective of how solid your site structure is, you must however still need to leverage of SEO for optimum performance. There are a lot of things that comes to play while optimizing a website for a search engine, site structure has an important role to play and that’s why it must be done properly. Please do well to subscribe to our mailing list for more marketing tips.
WANT MORE TRAFFIC?